Thursday, April 21, 2011

BIG ultrasound!

Last week we had our big 21-week ultrasound and anatomy scan! Kellen and were both a bit anxious about it- and so begins the never-ending worrying as a parent, right? It came the morning after I worked a painful 3 in a row (thanks to some trading, I only have one more of those rounds the rest of the pregnancy, thank goodness!) and was the light at the end of the tunnel during those 12 hr shifts.

Everything couldn't have gone any better! The weather was perfect that day, the ultrasound tech was perfect, the doctor was perfect, and most importantly- the baby looked perfect! We could have found out the gender but as you know, we politely passed :) We didn't even get a good enough look to get a chance to think if our guesses were right! They didn't put the gender in my chart- per my request- one of my worst fears was that they do, then on some random checkup the OB would walk in asking how the 'mr' or 'miss' was doing.

The ultrasound was wild. It gives meaning to the term reality TV- right there, on the screen in front of us, hand in hand, Kel and I could see 'shim' moving, opening/closing there mouth and even sucking on fingers! Poppyseed (our loving nickname we gave the baby- not sure if I shared that yet or not) is still breech but they weren't too concerned about that right now. But was notable about this was how they were sitting- totally squatting on my bladder! It looked so uncomfortable! We could see how the feet were flexed up against the shin...reminding me of how we see some of the babies at work...kinda scary. Anyway, I've been able to feel stronger kicks in the last 2 1/2 weeks and it was amazing to actually see the movement while I felt the little bunny kicks! Everything checked out A-okay, amidst all of my crazy NICU nurse questions.

Poppyseed estimates 6 1/2 inches long at 13 oz in weight. I am doing well, too. This tummy is out of control, and I'm well aware its gonna get bigger! Total weight gain (I cringe): 9 lbs. Not bad for half over way I suppose? The morning sickness and nausea has been coming back though, not sure what that's all about. My back has been starting to bother me, too, but overall I can't complain. I'm slathering on that belly balm like no tomorrow! No crazy cravings...I'm wondering if I will get them? The only thing I can't get enough of is cherry tomatoes, red and yellow. YUM!

After having this apt go so well, it feels like a weight has been lifted off our shoulders- now I feel like we can really celebrate being pregnant and start bonding with this sweet sweet baby who likes to bunny kick!

Below are some pictures from the ultrasound...I am sorry they such poor quality. We only got paper copies, so I took a picture of the picture!


Can you see them sucking his/her fingers?!


Hard to tell, but the mouth was open in this picture.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the belly...We shall get some soon!

3 comments: